Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Following or Stalking?

by Paula Matter

I'll jump in with a post for today if no one minds...

I took the plunge and signed on to Twitter over the weekend. Dunno why. I'm thinking it has to do with needing another reason to procrastinate.

Whatever.

The first item of business after logging in was to find people I know, people I've heard of, or find interesting. Mainly a bunch of authors I read or am planning on reading. Many are people I've 'friended' (I still shudder at that word) over at Facebook.

I'm now following 94 fellow Twitter-ers and I have 20 following me.

The term 'follow' bothers me. I feel as if I'm now stalking 94 people. Weird that I don't feel like I'm being stalked. (Okay, so tell me which is correct: as if or like in the preceding sentences? I used both figuring I had a 50/50 shot at one of them being correct).

I haven't updated since signing on to Twitter. And I dunno how often I will. I think it's going to take some time getting used to it, and to learn all that can be done.

And how it's supposed to be done. I admit I'm a little afraid of doing something wrong.

I'm all for etiquette and netiquette. As long as I know the rules. Then again, being the rebellious person that I am, I don't go much for rules.

Four people DM'd me. That's Direct Message for you non-twitter-ers out there. I didn't respond to any of them because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to.

Oh, hell, who am I kidding? I haven't figured how to respond yet. I'm sure it's easy, but I just haven't taken time to learn.

In the meantime, one of the DMs I received disappeared. No idea where it went or why it went. It simply went.

Did I piss off the person because I never responded? Is there a time limit as to how long a DM sits in my--my what? Inbox? DMbox?

Are there any Twitter-ers out there? I'll follow you if you follow me.

Excuse me while I go off to Twitter. I want to see if my son is on there and what he's up to.

Not that I'm stalking him or anything.

4 comments:

Alan Orloff said...

Hi Paula,

I'd love to follow you, but...
what's your name-thingy (like @alanorloff)?

I'm a newbie Twit, too.

Wilfred Bereswill said...

I joined Twitter before it was cool to Tweet.

I've tweeted twice, and once was to see if my Blackberry app worked.

Let's be honest, I'm not that friggin' interesting. I have 4 or 5 followers and I don't know why.

Jenna said...

I don't understand Twitter. I'm not sure I care. Other people seem to get something out of it, but to me, it seems like just another time-suck, and it's not like I haven't got plenty of those already. You gotta draw the line somewhere, and I guess that's where mine is drawn. For now, anyway.

queenofmean said...

Wil, you made me laugh. I couldn't agree with you more. I mean, do I really want to be a twit or do anything called tweeting or twittering or whatever it's called? And who thought up this name anyway? I guess, I really don't need another way to waste time.