Thursday, September 03, 2009

Great Expectations

By Paula Matter

That sound you may’ve heard last week across the Internet was the ecstatic shout of joy, relief and–and what? Fear? Pride? Bittersweet sorrow? A sense of accomplishment?

Yeah. All that.

I just finished another draft of my novel. I don’t know what exact number this draft is. I edit as I go, but I do know there have been numerous chapter ones. The only thing that has stayed the same through all this is the ending. I love my ending. No, not just typing The End which is wonderful in itself, but the last line of the book. My protagonist has grown so much by the end of the book and that last line defines it beautifully

I hope it stays.

Here’s why it might not. . .

I’m writing this blog entry on Wednesday morning. Sometime today I will receive The Letter from the editor I’ve hired to help me make this book better. By the time this entry is posted on Thursday, I will have had approximately twenty-four hours to have become used to whatever The Letter entails.

Prior to getting The Letter, I’m going to guess at what my editor (I love saying that!) is going to suggest. Here goes:

I have to add more descriptions of my settings, my characters. Blech. But I know it’s necessary. I hate doing it, but I’ll do it.

I have to start the action sooner. Too much set-up in the beginning.

Chapter one is too long.

I have too many secondary characters.

Each chapter has to propel my protagonist forward. Or backward in some cases.

The climax could be more confrontational, more of a showdown.

There are two loose ends I can tie up in this book. Or not. Since it’s planned as a series, they could be tied up in later books. Like the next one. Or the one after that.

So. There you have it. I’ll be back to let y’all know how close I was in my guessing. I don’t know if it’ll be today, tomorrow, or the next time I post in two weeks.

I’m sure y’all have seen this by now, but it’s just as fun as the first time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKkR9S2lq6Q

5 comments:

Annette said...

You go, girl! Can't wait to hear.

Joyce Tremel said...

Might this be the same editor who may be guest blogging in October? I can't wait to hear what she says.

I've seen that video several times, but it still makes me laugh.

PatRemick said...

Maybe the editor will say...
It's Perfect....

Here's to great writing dreams!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Doesn't sound like too long a list if you're correct and maybe it will only be a few of them. Good luck.

Patg said...

Sometimes you just have to let well enough alone, and write
The End
Patg