Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year Resolutions

By Wilfred Bereswill

Yes we're still on a holiday break here at the Working Stiffs, but i began thinking of some New Year Resolutions and wanted to capture some for posterity sake.  You see, it was a New Year resolution that started my writing career.  I made a resolution to start my first novel on New Year's eve 2003.  During Christmas break 2004 I wrote the first chapter of A Reason For Dying.  Yeah, I know, nothing like procrastination.  On that New Year's eve, I made a resolution to finish the novel.  On May 6, 2005, I did. In 2008 it was published.

So, in the spirit of keeping those resolutions, I'd like to ask what writerly resolutions you are going to make tonight.  Even if you come here late, go ahead and record them so I can throw them in your face next December.

For me:

I will start and finish a third novel.  At this time, I plan on it being a stand-alone Suspence with a female Asian Police Detective named Mei Ma Gi (or English name, Maggie Mae).

I will also start and finish a short story in the same theme as one I should soon be receiving a contract for.

Since my oldest daughter has set her wedding date for July 10, 2010, I will be at least 15 pounds lighter than I am right now for the wedding.

That's it.  Your turn.  Don't be afraid.

5 comments:

queenofmean said...

Alright, Wil. I'll be brave, too. I know I set goals last fall, but unfortunate circumstances got me sidetracked. I'm hoping with the New Year, I can get myself back on track.
First, I intend to finally get my 'first' draft of my novel done. I keep finding myself in the "I can't do this. What was I thinking?" frame of mind. I need to push past that and work seriously.
Second, I plan to write a short story for a contest that's due April 15, 2010. Sounds like a long way off, but it'll be here before I know it.
Hopefully, in December 2010, I will be able to proudly claim success.
Good luck with your goals, Wil and hope you have a Happy 2010.

Annette said...

Aw, man, not you, too. Everyone is hounding me to create goals for myself. Okay, I just posted six of them over at Writing, etc. (since we're supposed to be on vacation here!) Basically, they involve writing more and being more realistic about setting goals pertaining to writing more.

And, Will, your daughter is getting married on my birthday! Cool!

Happy New Year!

Wilfred Bereswill said...

Annette, pick one "Resolution and paste it in here. I don't want a goal, I want something you're going to promise to do before 2011 rolls around.

Q of M, great stuff there. Go for it.

Annette said...

Okay, okay. Since we all have similar writing aspirations, I won't go there. My resolution for 2010 is to keep in closer touch with all my friends, who too often get ignored while I'm focused on the writing goals/resolutions.

PatRemick said...

Mine is balance -- balance the fun with the work, or the work with the fun.

This means finishing the novel but also running a 5K by the end of the year even though I haven't run anywhere since I played softball in my 20s (eons ago).

All the news shows this weekend had people telling us to write down our goals and strategies for getting them accomplished -- Thanks Wil for getting us started!