Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Conference Bound

By Annette Dashofy


As you read this, I’m either in the process of heading out the door or on the road to Lancaster and the Pennwriters Conference. It’s finally here.

Last year, I coordinated the conference. That means I didn’t get to participate in any of the workshops. Okay, I did steal away for the Crime Fiction Panel, but that was it. I attended the dinners and luncheons, but was too anxious to really enjoy the food.

This year will be different. (I hope!) In way of “payment” for all the work I did last year, THIS year’s conference is pretty much comped for me. Good thing, since Hubby is still unemployed…and seeming to like it. Ahhh, but that’s a topic for another day. The point is I plan to have a helluva good time this weekend.

I admit I’m stressing out over my agent pitch. But since my appointment is scheduled for 10:40AM Friday, I’ll get it over with and be free to kick back.

After last year, I swore I would never be intimidated by an agent again. And really, I’m not. It’s not the agent that has me stressed. It’s the whole “sending my baby out into the world” thing. I don’t care if it’s a novel, a short story, a magazine article, or a 250 word column, there is always a little fear about opening up your heart and soul to the public. And this is the first pitch/query I’ve done for this particular manuscript.

It’s as though this is my baby’s first day of school. I’m the nervous mother. And I so want someone to like my child and befriend her.

Yes, I’m getting sappy. Sorry. By Friday, I promise to be totally professional.

Anyhow, I’m looking forward to the array of workshops and events on the schedule. There’s Tim Esaias’ day-long workshop tomorrow; Ramona Long’s Mystery Writing Breakout session; CJ Lyons’ Pitch Perfect and No Rules, Just Write workshops; and Loree Lough’s Synopsis class, to name a few.

I’m also looking forward to socializing with friends that I only see once a year, as well as my local Sisters in Crime and Pennwriters who are traveling across the state today or tomorrow. There are a lot of folks I wanted to spend time with last year, but I was too busy, and they were gracious enough to give me rain checks, which I intend to cash in.

So I’m outta here. I’ll see some of you there. Good luck to everyone who’s pitching. The rest of you can talk among yourselves today. I’ll be posting progress reports and photos of the weekend over at Writing, etc. Feel free to stop in.

Oh, by the way, next week you’ll have the pleasure of meeting our newest Working Stiff, my friend Tamara Girardi. She’ll be alternating Wednesdays with me. Make sure you check in and give her a warm Working Stiffs welcome.

3 comments:

Annette said...

Drive safely, Laurissa!

I'm about ready. Still remembering little things that I ALMOST forgot. Will be curious to discover what I DO forget. ;-)

Joyce Tremel said...

I can't wait!

I was one of the lucky ones who got to read Annette's manuscript. Her "baby" is definitely ready to go out into the big, bad publishing world.

Jenna said...

I wanna be there! Waaah!