Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ramblings

by Joyce

Since Paula is sick today, I thought I'd fill in.

Since our very loose theme for the month is new beginnings, I'll tell you about some of mine. One that happened this year is hubby and I are real empty-nesters now. Number two son moved into his own apartment in June. It's only fifteen minutes away in Bloomfield. He works at the University of Pittsburgh in a brain research lab, so now he has a ten to fifteen minute walk to work instead of riding two buses to get to Oakland (a two hour daily commute). Pittsburgh has a very antiquated bus system where all buses go downtown and you have to transfer to another one to get anywhere else. Pitt students and employees can ride the bus for free, mainly because there's a shortage of parking in Oakland. And there's a five year waiting list for a parking permit.

I thought I'd have a hard time adjusting because this son was the one who was permanently attached to my leg when he was younger. Seriously. When I took him to preschool the teachers would literally have to peel him off my leg. The adjustment has been relatively pain free, though. The first week was weird, because his room was completely empty. (Number one son, who went away for college and grad school and now lives in Virginia, still has stuff in his room, which if I have to tell him again to get rid of it, is going to have a surprise next time he comes home. Ahem.)

Number two son's room is very small. It's a typical 1960s ranch, third bedroom size of 9 x 9. I decided to turn it into a sitting room. I bought an oak futon for it (so if No. 2 graces us with his presence, he has a place to sleep) and hubby is going to make me a table that I can also use as a desk for my laptop. Nice little place to write.

Number one son's room is our actual guest room. There's still a twin bed, a dresser, a chest and a night table. And a closet full of history books, which should fit nicely in the big-ass bookcase hubby just built for No. 1's apartment. This is going to be my 1940s room. When someone steps into the room, I want it to look like they stepped back in time. I got the idea from a bed and breakfast that has the same theme. This B & B even has 1940s clothing, so guests can dress the part. I don't know if I'll go that far, but I really liked the idea. So, right now I'm looking for anything 40s related to decorate the room. There's a store in Gettysburg called The Home Front that I'll be checking out when hubby and I are there for our 30th anniversary. If anyone has suggestions of where else to look, let me know.

I like the idea of theme rooms, don't you? (When the time comes to do our gameroom over, I'm thinking Irish Pub.) If you wanted to decorate your rooms in different themes, what would they be?

9 comments:

Jenna said...

Ooooh, Joyce, can I come and stay in your 40s room? I LOVE the 1940s!

We're 60s inspired right now, but if money was no issue - and we didn't live in a mid-century ranch - I think I'd go Hollywood Art Deco. 1930s. Gray velvet, black laquer, poofy and overstuffed. Like something straight out of an old Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire movie. I like the 1950s, too. The formica tables and naugahyde chairs and Coca-Cola posters and all that. Bright colors.

Good post!

Joyce Tremel said...

You can stay here anytime you'd like!

If/when I get the room finished, I'll be sure to post pictures.

I love the old Formica and chrome tables and chairs. The protagonist in my first two manuscripts has them in her kitchen.

Laurissa said...

I love the idea of having theme rooms. However I firmly stand by my theme of "eclectic." lol

My mother one year decided to decorate her kitchen and chose the theme of "roosters." Which was really quaint and nice in the beginning. I think her big mistake though was in letting all of us adult children (six of us) know about the roosters, because let me tell you, you can definitely overdo a theme.

Several Christmases, birthdays, etc., later, she's acquired enough roosters to wake up the entire state of Ohio! Okay, I'm exaggerating just a tad, but her kitchen is way too small for the number of roosters she's been given. :-)

Gina said...

My house is multi-era, a mix of old pieces abandoned by deceased relatives and some bottom-of-the-line stuff I bought myself. If I ever hit the lottery (or sell a film script), i'd probably lean toward heavy dark wood with lots and lots of bookshelves; I already have the (imitation) oriental rugs.

Karen in Ohio said...

Such fun, Joyce. Be sure to look for a 1930's or 40's quilt (or make one!). They have a distinctive look, with small medium-tone prints, usually bright and happy colors. Many antique stores could point out the look to you. That era's quilts often used feed sack prints, if you know what those looked like.

I had the same experience with my last two--the older one left a ton of stuff here, and the youngest moved out, lock, stock and barrel without a backward glance. But all three of mine live far enough away that they need a room to sleep in when they visit. So when they are here we love it!

Joyce Tremel said...

Karen, I never even thought of a quilt! I was planning to look for a chenille bedspread. I think you just made my job harder, lol!

Karen in Ohio said...

Sorry, Joyce. lol

I have a (stained) top that looks like this, but without the embroidery:

http://annalenaland.com/category/quilting/page/2/

That's pretty typical of that era. Have fun decorating!

Patg said...

Ballards sells film wheels, if you have movie inspired decor. And one of the furniture companies has the Humphrey Bogart Collection. They might have accessories too.
Don't forget doilies.
Patg

Joyce Tremel said...

Definitely doilies! I actually use those already in my non-40s decor.